How to Email Contribution Statements
The emailing of giving statements requires Giving Units to be marked to receive email statements, and an email address(es) selected to receive the statements. There are two methods you can use to set these parameters. The first method is recommended when you have a large number of giving units to setup. This method uses the Giving Unit Email Maintenance window. The second method is performed from the Giving Unit Records window and is better suited when you only have a few giving units to prepare.
Configure via Giving Unit Email Maintenance
The most efficient way to set up giving units to receive giving statements via email is by using the Giving Unit Email Maintenance window. This window allows you to set the required parameters for all of your giving units from within one window.
Program → Contributions → Giving Unit Email Maintenance
When the window opens, click Show All or perform a search to get a listing of your giving units.
In this window, there are two columns with checkboxes. The column labeled Send marks the giving unit to receive statements via email. The column labeled Use allows you to select the email addresses for the giving units you have marked to send via email.
- Find the giving unit you wish to mark to receive statements by email and put a check in the Send column. In our example, we are putting a check in the box for HALS5491.
- With the giving unit marked to receive statements by email, we need to select the email address to use. Emails are listed on the right side of the window. When you have found the email the giving unit wishes to use, put a check beside it in the Use column.
- When finished, click Save.
Configure via Giving Unit Record
You can also set up email statements through the Giving Unit Records window. This allows you to work on one Giving Unit at a time is more suitable when needing to set up only a few.
Program → Contributions → Giving Unit Records
With the window open, find the giving unit you want to set up and then click the Change button in the left-hand sidebar.
- Under the Giving Unit Name section of the window, put a check in the Email Statement checkbox. This tells the program to include this giving unit when emailing giving statements.
- Switch to the Email tab.
- In this tab, select the email address(es) to use for sending the statement. Put a check in the Use checkbox.
- When finished, click Save.
Once you finish one giving unit, you can move to the next giving unit and repeat steps 1-4 above.
Emailing contribution statements requires that CDM+ is set up to send out emails. This is done in System Preferences > Sys Email > Manage SMTP Settings. For information on how to set up and manage SMTP settings, see Sys Email.
With the giving units marked to receive email statements and the SMTP settings set up, you are ready to email statements.
Open Contribution Statement Email report
Reports → Contribution Reports → Statements/Receipts → Contribution Statement Email
Setup Information under Search
- Select the appropriate date type (Deposit or Contribution) under the Date/Range Selection section. We're using the Contribution Date.
- Enter the beginning date for the date range.
- Enter the ending date of the date range.
- Under the Giving Funds section, either select the giving funds you wish to use ('Selected' radio button) or choose the 'All' radio button to include all giving funds including inactive ones.
- The next section to set up is the Events section. Once again, you can select the individual events under the 'Selected' radio button or choose all of them using the 'All' radio button.
- The final section to set up is Payment Types. You select individual payment types or choose all by selecting the 'All' radio button.
- Now, let's move on to the Report section, click Report under 'Options' in the left hand sidebar.
Setup Report options
Under this Option, you can select how you wish to print the statement giving.
- You can choose one giving unit or a range of giving units to email.
- You can select to print total giving ('Total Only') or select the giving funds to display in columns. You can select six giving funds with additional funds combined into an 'Other' column on the report.
- You can choose to print only giving units with a pledge, and
- you can choose to include inactive giving units.
- In our example, we are going to select Total Only. No other options will be changed.
- Select Notice
Configure of the email Notice
- Under the Notice option, click on the 'Select/Add' button.
- Click Add
- Enter a name/description for the Notice.
- Click OK
- Ensure the Notice you just added is selected.
- Click Choose
Subject of Email
- Enter the subject of the email on the line labeled as Subject.
- Click Change
Body of Email
- Enter the salutation line beginning with 'Dear' or any salutation you want to use, then
- Under Database Fields of the Formatting Palette, double-click the 'Giving Unit Salutation Name' field. This will move the field to the position of the cursor, after the entered salutation from step 1.
- Continue writing the body of the email.
- When completed, click Save.
- Then, click Close.
Move to Format Option
- Click Format
Review Format Options
- This window allows you to configure how statements will be printed.
- Make the desired changes, then click Messages.
- Enter Giver Message
- Enter Non-Giver Message
- Enter the term descriptions for the Total Descriptions (deductible and non-deductible terms).
- Now you are ready to send the statements, click Send in the upper lefthand corner.
Changing Sender's name and email address
If you want to change the default sender's name and email address, follow these steps before sending the email.
- Click on the Notice tab
- Select More Options
- Enter the desired Sender's Name
- Enter the desired Sender's Address
- Click Save
- Review the list of emails to be sent. In our example, we are only sending a statement to one giver.
If you wish to send emails to staff members, enter their names and email addresses in this section.
Staff email addresses, as well as, a Privacy Notice may be set up under System Preferences. For more information, see Setting up Staff Addresses and Privacy Notice.
- Click Send
- Verify you wish to send an email notice by clicking Yes.
- Watch the progress in this window.
- When complete, click Close. All of your statements have been emailed!
Video of Emailing Contribution Statements