The CDM+ ACH Direct Deposit Payroll feature is an add-on to the CDM+ Payroll program. It allows you to easily create a file to send to your banking institution for direct-deposit of payroll. For more information about purchasing this feature, please contact the CDM+ Sales Department at 877-891-4236 (toll free).
If you included the optional ACH Direct Deposit Payroll feature when you initially purchased CDM+, you may proceed to the ACH Setup section. If you added the ACH feature to an existing CDM+ suite, and you received via e-mail instructions and an Activation Code to "turn on" the ACH Payroll Direct Deposit function, follow the directions in the e-mail before proceeding to the ACH Setup section below.
To check whether ACH Direct Deposit Payroll is active in your CDM+ suite:
- Select About CDM+ from the Payroll menu and choose the Serialization tab.
- If this optional feature has been activated, you'll see a green "Yes" after "ACH Payroll:" on this window, otherwise a red "No" will be displayed.
- Select Payroll Setup from the Payroll menu and choose the ACH Setup tab.
Using the information provided by your banking institution, complete the fields on this window. Click Save when you are finished.
- Company Name - Your Church Name - 16 Character limit, so you may need to abbreviate.
- Discretionary Data (not required) - 20 Character limit - Example: Payroll
- Company ID - Unique identifier assigned to you by your bank
- Company Entry Description - 20 Character limit – Similar to Company name above
- Do Not Create Credit Line – Normally this box is left unchecked. If your bank indicates that the file should not include a credit line at the end of the file then click this box on.
- Company Routing Number - Provided by your bank
- Company Account - The bank account number (not the CDM+ Account number) from which the money will be paid.
Immediate Destination/Immediate Origin
This identifies the name of the bank and the routing number is usually the same as entered under Company Routing Number. Name Example: BANKOFAMERICA, CHASE, etc.
Export File Defaults
Directory - The folder for the ACH file will be saved in this location after it has been created and prior to uploading to the bank. Consideration needs to be given to this folder location for following reasons:
- Security - this file will include sensitive information, similar to the Information contained in CDM+. Therefore, this folder location must be protected where access is controlled.
- Backup - you will want to maintain a backup of the ACH file prior to uploading to the bank. Once it has been uploaded and you have your confirmation of this, you may want to consider moving this ACH file to a different folder (e.g., “Processed ACH” folder) for a period of time allowing for all employees to receive their funds.
Name Prefix - The ACH file will be created with the date automatically included in the file name. However, you may prefer to insert a “prefix” to the default file name. Examples:
- Church - file name would appear as “Church06112007.txt”
- Daycare - file name would appear as “Daycare06112007.txt”
- Mission - file name would appear as “Mission06112007.txt”
File after writing Checks - A check in this box would automatically open a window to create the ACH file after executing “Write Payroll Checks.” Without this box checked, you would have to use the Payroll menu item “Create ACH File” prior to posting the payroll to ledger. SEE CREATE ACH FILE SECTION OF THIS DOCUMENT.
- Click the Create test ACH File button to generate a sample file for your banking institution.
DO NOT CREATE TEST ACH FILE UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED ITEM 7 IN THE "SET UP EMPLOYEE INFORMATION" SECTION TO FOLLOW IN THIS MANUAL, as the ACH file is created only for employees with the "Auto Draw" option selected and contains required information from the "Accounts" tab.
Set Up Employee Information
If the employee wishes to have his or her pay deposited to a single bank account, click the Amount button and leave the amount as zero.
- Open the Employee Information window from the Payroll menu and select an employee who wishes to have ACH Direct Deposit Payroll set up.
- Click on the Accounts tab and click the Change button at the bottom of the window.
Click the small Add button.
Enter information for each bank account to which the employee wishes to deposit funds. The red up and down arrows in the Order column allows you to adjust the order of priority for deposit if more than one account is specified.
Split Net by: You may chose to split the net pay amount between 2 or more bank accounts (e.g., checking and savings) either by a flat amount or a percentage by selecting the appropriate radio button.
Amount - For flat amounts, enter the amount in column 4 that is to be deposited to the account selected. Entry order is important, as the flat amounts must be entered first. In the event the employee’s pay varies from pay period to pay period, as in the case of an hourly employee with varying hours each pay period, the flat amounts need to be entered on the first line(s). For the remaining line enter a zero, which would indicate the balance of the net pay amount. If the net pay is ever less than the flat amount(s) indicated, the net pay amount would be deposited in the accounts in order until all funds had been paid.
Percentage (%) - Enter the percentage amount in each row used, making sure the total equals 100%.
Choose the Setup tab on the Employee Information window and check the Auto Draw checkbox under Check Option.
- When finished, click the Save button.
Repeat the process for all employees desiring ACH Direct Deposit Payroll.
For a quick check to verify Auto Draw has been selected for the correct employees, do the following:
From the Employee Information window, select “Show All” and select the Grid view.
- Create ACH Test file - (See Item 3 in ACH Setup section above.)
All Employees - selecting this will create a file that can be uploaded with zero dollar amounts to the bank for testing the routing numbers and bank account numbers for all employees with the auto draw feature selected. Should one of these be incorrect, your bank should notify you.
Modified Date Range - selecting this will create the ACH file for just those employees whose Employee Information file has been changed in the date range selected and they have the auto draw feature selected.
Processing Payroll for Direct Deposit
- Calculate payroll as you would normally.
Select Payroll Checks from the Payroll menu.
You will note that instead of a check number, direct deposited payroll will be marked (Auto-Draw).
Continue with the payroll check writing as usual. You will be given the option to print “Auto-Draw Checks”. These can be printed separately on plain paper.
Consider adding a new payroll check layout for auto draw using "Full Page Stub" or "Stub."
Create ACH File
If you selected "File after writing Checks" in the ACH Setup, Create ACH File will automatically open after “Writing Checks.” (See ACH Setup, item 1 above.)
After writing payroll checks and BEFORE POSTING payroll. . .
Select Create ACH File from the Payroll menu.
- Review the transactions listed and click the Create File button. CDM+ will create a file for you to send to your banking institution.
- Browse to the location you wish to save and click Save.
Send this ACH file to your bank for them to process.
This is NOT automatically done via CDM+. Contact your bank for their instructions on where to send the ACH file created in CDM+.
- A message will appear asking if you wish to mark the Auto-Draws as filed. Click Yes.
- Proceed to the Post Payroll window and post payroll as usual.